These zucchini muffins = so good! How could anything double chocolate not be?
Although these photos do somehow make the muffins look a little pale…in real life they look undeniably chocolatey.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
from Kitchen Trial and Error
makes 12 regular sized muffins or 24 mini muffins
1 and 3/4 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 to 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (use Dutch processed for dark chocolate flavor)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
sprinkle of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped up dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line muffin cups with paper liners or grease generously and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt) until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the zucchini, milk, oil, egg, and vanilla until well blended.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture and mix just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake regular sized muffins for about 20 minutes or mini muffins for about 12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for a couple minutes before removing and cooling on a wire rack.
I like to use white whole wheat flour, or a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose.
Feel free to use any dairy-free milk you like!
I like using melted coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. Unsweetened applesauce also works exceptionally well, especially for zucchini bread!
Sugar is sugar, but sometimes coconut palm sugar makes it feel a little less guilty!